Tuesday, January 17, 2006

Excuse me, what is that you’re reading?

I get asked this question, literally, every day. By friends, family, friends of family members and strangers who refuse to observe basic fundamental rules of personal space: 1) leaning their shoulders in just a tad too near or 2) craning their necks over my shoulder just an inch or two too far, wanting desperately it seems, to know the name of that book.

Well, if you would give me some room, I’ll tell you:

Just finished
- Eleven Minutes by Paulo Coelho. It will change the way you have (or don’t have) sex. Enough said.

Re-reading - Big Cats by Holiday Reinhorn. Because she is perfect at the short story and I have to try to be when I interview her in a few weeks.

Latest, greatest recommended title - Woman Who Run With the Wolves by Clarissa Pinkola Estes. I found myself having what I feared was a sacrilegious thought while reading it (I have since decided that the gods will forgive me.) Note to all creative women: Own a copy of this text. If you pick it up and it doesn’t move you, DO NOT BE DETERRED. Place it on your shelf/nightstand, back away and come back to it 365 days. But get yourself a copy TODAY.

Body of work study: Joan Didion – I am reading both The Year of Magical Thinking and The White Album. The simplicity and precision that she employs in her writing is something to aspire to.

On again, off again - Salvation: Black people and Love by bell hooks. This is information I can use over and over and over again.


Right now some of you are thinking “No wonder it’s taking her so long to get back to me.” Hush. Your letter is on its way.

Wordjunkie/editor/storyeater
Lorraine and James


By the way, have you checked out the new site? What do you think?

4 Comments:

Blogger Sheri said...

I am currently reading The Secret Life of Bees and In Cold Blood by Capote. The Joan Diddion (The Magical Year of Thinking) book is next on my list for school but I may have to make a detour to the Eleven Minutes by Paulo Coelhomay!!

10:53 AM  
Blogger Miss Ahmad said...

I am currently reading Eleven Minutes, Paulo Cohelo, The Zahir, Paulo Cohelo and Love in the Time of Cholera, Gabriel Garcia Marquez, while also trying to complete The Insatiable Spiderman by Pedro Juan Gutierrez...I'm heavy into Latin authors right now. Can you tell?

12:38 PM  
Anonymous Angel said...

Women Who Run With The Wolves: Yes!! Essential reading for every, every, every creative woman! So essential that I own two copies: one to keep on my nightstand, full of highlighted passages and another to loan to those who are ready.

7:19 AM  
Blogger michi said...

not only creative women. every woman should have a copy of women who run with wolves. m

10:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home